Ribbon is not a good UI, IMHO. It comes from Microsoft's idea that every command must have a corresponding icon, which in the past made for some of the most cluttered UIs out there. It's really hard to find what you need in the new Office ribbons, and I would think twice before following this trend. If you feel you need a ribbon in your application, maybe it's time to rethink your UI.

--
Gleb Dolgich
Twitter: @gbd