Yes, you can get xml data from a SQL-Server database directly through
xPath url queries.  The risk here though is that it opens up the
possibility of SQL injection and isn't that secure.  Your options are to
create your own .Net web services or look into using a middle tier
solution like WebOrb; for connectivity between a Flex client and a .Net
backend.

-TH