I figured it out, sort of.

Setting backgroundcolor to "null" gets rid of the white box underneath.

backgroundColor: "null";

But now the new problem is that each the "rollover"/"selected" row
has a bar that stretches beyond the boundary of the background image (bigger
than for the rows on the top/bottom and wider for the rows in between.)

Thanks.

I guess I can "fix" it by making the