Did you have any luck with this?

I have a binding function as follows

        <mx:ColumnChart id="columnChart" type="stacked"
            height="100%"
            width="100%"
            dataProvider="model.chartData"
            series="{this.buildSeriesList(model.seriesSpec)}"

and the stacked columns are displayed, but not aligned with each other.
Quite amusing, except when you have a deadline.
This must be the known defect you referred to.
Anyone know a workaround, or defect number?