If I wanted to try to solve this one in a hurry (and quickly is always best,
right?), I'd write a class that extended container, or maybe even Canvas or
VBox, depending on... and use WindowShade components as children.

Listen for the "resize" event in your children (which will be in your
WindowShade components, non-bubbling, mx.events.ResizeEvent.RESIZE).

And do calculations on child heights and numChildrenExpanded, holding variables
where needed.  I don't think I'd do anything with the override of
updateDisplayList in this case... just an event listener that is constantly
firing and calculating heights, evaluating who is opened, keeping track of who
was opened and in what order, and only turning on my scroll bar policy when
opened children == 1 && the height of the children is greater than the
"multi-accordian" height -- or something like that.

Hope that helps.
Best of luck,
Jeremy