Yep, thought that I could get away with not testing it.  Doesn't look
like you can extend Array, but you can extend ArrayCollection:

package
{
      import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

      public class MatRix extends ArrayCollection
      {
           public function MatRix(numRows:int=0,numCols:int=0)
           {
                 for (var i:int=0;i<numRows;i++)
                {
                     this.addItem( new Array(numCols) );

Test:

var a:MatRix = new MatRix(3,3);
a[0][1] = "test";
trace(a[0][1]);

-TH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "smitade" <smit...@...> wrote:

> This compiles OK but fails at this point in the class:
>
> this[i]=new Array(numCols);
>
> with the error: Cannot create property 0 on [the class] i.e i being 0
on the first for loop when calling: