If you can run Java code at the time the database changes, you can use the
DataServiceTransaction api.  It has methods to refresh queries, or push
specific create, update, delete changes to the client.
There is a "refresh" operation which you can run from the client.  That will
only pick up db changes though if you have cache-items disabled.

Jeff