----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Chiverton
  To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:01 AM
  Subject: Re: [flexcoders] HyperThreading...

  On Monday 18 May 2009, Laurence MacNeill wrote:
  > Does anyone know if the Flash Player supports HyperThreading?

  Applications don't, in general, support or not HT as that's at the O/S level.

Strictly that's true, but other technologies (such as Java) allow multiple
threads of execution and are able to take advantage of HT if they are written
with multiple threads.

Given the availability of multiple cores these days, I'd hope that actionscript
(and the player) would embrace this, though it's  MAJOR change in application
development.

The player is single-threaded at the moment so cannot use a second core - as
Tom says. :-(

Paul

  > other words, will my program run faster on a CPU that has
  > HyperThreading? Or will it not make any difference?

  If it's fairly CPU-bound (and nothing else is), it'll probably feel faster
  because there's less contention for the CPU resource.

  --
  Helping to biannually promote low-risk e-tailers as part of the IT team of
the

              Tom Chiverton
              Developer
              Tel: +44 0161 618 5032
              Fax: +44 0161 618 5099
              tom.chiver...@halliwells.com
              3 Hardman Square, Manchester, M3 3EB
              www.Halliwells.com

        This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.

        Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England
and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is
at Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB. A list
of members is available for inspection at the registered office together with a
list of those non members who are referred to as partners. We use the word
?partner? to refer to a member of the LLP, or an employee or consultant with
equivalent standing and qualifications. Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation
Authority.

        CONFIDENTIALITY

        This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above
and may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you
must not read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor
inform any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence
or contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it and
notify Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.

        For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.Halliwells.com.