That's a perfectly reasonable error. Both things compile to a class
called CustomSkin - and you can't have two classes in the same project
called CustomSkin.

Sounds like your sample project wasn't set up to compile - are you
sure whoever provided the project isn't just giving you two separate
examples of the same thing, one version in MXML, one version in AS? I
suspect you aren't supposed to be trying to compile the two together.

HTH,

Ian