So my fix is this:

MyComboRenderer
<mx:HBox rollOver="onRollOver();" rollOut="onRollOut();">

      <mx:Script>
         private function onRollOver():void {
             lblGroup.setStyle("color", getStyle("textRollOverColor"));
         }

         private function onRollOut():void {
             lblGroup.setStyle("color", getStyle("color"));
      </mx:Script>
</mx:HBox>

You'll notice I just listen for the rollOver/rollOut events and handle
it there.  It uses the textRollOverColor style that is set on the
ComboBox :)