I guess you are adding an additional axis. As you know if you
do not define your axis and put an id for it. The chart will add
the default axis. Now do not do it that way declare both axis
and then tie up the axis renderer with it. I guess that will resolve
you issue.

Here you can see the example:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/mx/charts/AxisRenderer.html