Can you add an eventlistner to the vbox so that when the mouse key clicks you
get a function call?

for example;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute" creationComplete="init()">

<mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
        import mx.controls.Alert;

        private function init():void {
            vboxtest.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN,mouseDidSomething);
        }
        private function mouseDidSomething(event:MouseEvent):void {
            Alert.show("mouse it");
        }
    ]]>
</mx:Script>

   <mx:VBox id="vboxtest" borderStyle="solid" width="300" height="300">

   </mx:VBox>
</mx:WindowedApplication>