I have a client who often points to html websites as examples of what
they like and (as you all know) the browser page always fits the content
(with or without scrollbars).

Anyone been successfully building  flex or flash apps using javascript
to mimic html page behaviour - shrinking the browser page or forcing
browser scrolling?

I'm wondering whether this can really be done reliably or not, before I
set out to experiment with variable size layouts.

In case anyone misunderstands, I'm not concerned about the user resizing
the browser, but having the browser react to the flash stage being
resized under program control.

Thanks,

Paul