Excellent, thanks!  The Capabilities class is the ticket.

Tracy Spratt,

Lariat Services, development services available

  _____

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcod...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of primo411
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:21 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SPAM] Re: [flexcoders] Flex AIR app: How to determine Operating
System at run-time

You will find what you need here:
http://help.
<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fb
f351e63e3d118a9b90204-7cd8.html>
adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118
a9b90204-7cd8.html

The trick is to analyze the String describing the Flash player version.

2009/10/22 Tracy Spratt <tr...@nts3rd. <mailto:tr...@nts3rd.com> com>

We are creating an app that will run in an embedded linux environment, but
are developing under windows.

There are several functions we want to enable or disable based on whether we
are running under windows or under linux.

I have an init file parameter that lets me handle this, but we seem to often
forget to set that param every time we publish.

Is there anyway a runtime Flex AIR application can determine its host
operating system?  runtimeVersion and sandboxType do not seem to give me
what I want.