yes, I got it in there but now it is telling me dispatchEvent("change") can
not be a string, should be type flash.event:Event

I have this in the ModelLocator.as:
public function set varName(val:Number):void{
  if(val !=areaID){
      areaID = val;
      dispatchEvent("change");

on the view page, in the init function I added

model.areaID.addEventListner("change", setList);

Thanks for all of your help

Darrin