If I remove the whole <mx:dataProvider> tag and add the dataProvider
attribute to the <mx:advancedDataGrid> tag with the value of
"{xmllTemplates}" then I can sort, change tabs and am still able to sort, so
It does seem to be something about the groupingCollection.

I have no idea how I would monitor the collectionEvent.CHANGE event. I tried
to google up some examples on it, but anything I could find was WAY over my
head. Is there some simple way to do this?

Thanks again for taking the time with me, I know you probably have better
things to be doing.