Alright Dan.. so we're going to solve this.  After this much back-and-forth,
we've gotta make it work.

So here's the deal:

if you use my statement and squat is just XML, then you're almost there.

It should be something like this

<yourObject>
    <name>GZAW08</name>
    <otherProperty>value</otherProperty>
</yourObject>

With your variable squat, you can then access a specific property of it by
saying, for example, squat.name - that will give you the value.  If you want it
as a string, you can also say squat.name.toString().

Just to clarify earlier, if you had

<yourObject name="GZAW08" etc.../>

then you would use squ...@name.

-Julian