I'm not sure if I'd call an MXML component a set of AS3 classes. The complete Flex Framework is built in AS3 without using any MXML. MXML is an "AS3" code generation language and the MXML file is compiled to AS3 by the Flex compiler. But, you cannot use an MXML component in a non-Flex applications without first turning it into AS3.

I haven't done any coding in the Flash IDE, although I would expect that writing AS3 code in the Flash Professional will be a very different experience than writing AS3 code in Flex Builder. But, Baz is right that the language constructs are not different.
Baz wrote:
Hey,

Flex is nothing more than a framework built using AS3, and AS3 only exists in the flash player, so they are the exact same AS3. An Flex (mxml) component, is just a set of AS3 classes, that you can modify, update, extend, or change in any way. Flex simply provides a high-level and convenient way to implement Action Script.

To learn, I'd start with a simple mxml app, then as you progress, start adding more complexity and customizations. You will quickly find out that you will have to drop down to the lower-level AS3 code, by creating your own classes, or extending existing flex components. At the end of the day, to be a good Flex developer, you have to also be a good AS3 developer, so it's in your interest to learn both.

Good luck!

Baz