Actually, if you use the open file command in your browser and open either the
debug build or release build, then neither of them work.

On the other hand, accessing either the release or debug versions using a HTTP
call results in both of them working.

As I understand it, this is the way it is supposed to work. You have to deploy
your SWF to a web server to have BrowserManager support.