Here's a really good place to start your journey

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/flex_java.html

There is a whole ton of stuff out there that will help you get started.

I too was a Java programmer who embarked on Flex and with hindsight the key
decision I had to make was how I connected my Flex front to my Java back-end,
i.e. web services, sockets, RPC etc.  You need to make that choice quite early
in your architectural decisions and based on your application needs, so spend a
little time investigating the alternatives.  (FWIW I went with RPC because it
is lighter at both ends and I found it more intuitive as a Java programmer)

Best of luck, it is a great journey.