Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I am confused by the behavior of my Flex app. The status
bar says "Transferring data from localhost..." and that status message never
goes away. But, as you suggested, the data are complete:  I pop the raw JSON
string returned by the webservice into a TextArea, and it's all there, a string
literal representing an array of objects:    [{...},{...},{...}], and the
string literal decodes into a well-formed ActionScript array.

Is there something my results-handler has to do to clear that status message?
Tim

  Maybe I’m missing something here,
but to my understanding when the result event of your HTTP service fires, your
call IS complete.  You should have access to the json string that was
pulled back from the service.  Is there something else you need that the
json string doesn’t’ supply?