Curious, how many of the 20 were cairngorm?
Thanks
Dan Pride

--- On Fri, 1/15/10, Kelly <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Kelly <dek...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Java Question
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, January 15, 2010, 1:31 PM

Out of 20+
large flex projects I have worked on 2 were .NET backends, 1 was a CF
backend, none were PHP, and all the rest were Java.

So you if you want to do enterprise Flex development for work it would
not hurt to learn Java.

If I wanted to build a simple html app I might consider CF because its
super simple to slap together html with CF's tag based logic. But I
would probably still end up using Java/Wicket even though the
complexity is slightly higher.

That is just my preference though.

CF was the first server side technology I learned. I thought it was
great when I learned it.

Then I learned Java. I have never wanted to use CF since then.

Paul Andrews wrote:

  Kelly wrote:

> Most of the certs require you to learn tons of crap you will never
use

> with Java/Flex development.

> I would suggest just learning core Java, Servlets, Java Servers,

> BlazeDS, and Spring. After that decide if you care about getting

> certified.

> Tom suggested learning CF instead.

> I would not recommend that.

> I know CF and Java and I would never use CF for a Flex backend.

> Java is so much nicer to work with and so much more powerful.

As a Java developer and having had a small dip in coldfusion

development, I wouldn't dismiss coldfusion so easily.

If you're looking to build straightforward database functionality,

coldfusion is superb and you'll get a solution rapidly. As well as that

you'll have a route to providing reports and such with the help of

coldfusion functionality.

I'm not telling anyone not to learn Java, or to adopt ColdFusion, but

suggesting Java is nicer to work with or more powerful, is not so clear

cut as you would suggest and for some scenarios the opposite is true.

I know that for some projects I've worked on, ColdFusion would have cut

development costs drastically.

I suspect that most Flex projects are driven by PHP rather than Java.

I think the choice of server technology depends on a pile of things,

some technical, some political, some monetary.

> Dan Pride wrote:

>> I am thinking of making the jump to Java

>> Seems like its the platform of choice for Flex Data

>> Two quick questions

>> 1) Whats the best exam to certifiy for

>> 2) Whats the cheapest

>> 3) How long to get by the cert for a normal bright level (not
genius