You're getting that error because your messaging/data management destination
has destination-level inbound throttling set to 500 which means that
destination can accept 500 msg/sec max but instead it's getting 15K and hence
the error.

Re #1, you can refer to "Controlling data traffic" section of LCDS 3.0
documentation. It explains config settings for inbound/outbound throttling.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/LiveCycleDataServicesES/3.0/Developing/index.html

You can also take a look at the sample config (messaging-config.xml or
data-management-config.xml depending on what you use) in resources/config
folder of your LCDS installation. The sample config has plenty explanation of
throttling options but ultimately you need to decide how many messages your
destination should accept for your application and what should happen
(throttling policy) when that limit is reached.

Re #2, IGNORE means that when the throttling limit is reached, the message will
be dropped. It depends on your application whether this is ok or not.

If you want detailed explanation of message throttling, take a look at the
second video in this post:

http://meteatamel.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/adobe-max-2009-session/

Re #3, RTMP is a protocol, AMF is an encoding, different things. I think you
meant you use HTTP (polling/long-polling/streaming). There's no magic protocol
that can speed up a slow network but there's reliable messaging feature in LCDS
that can help with transient network problems. You can read more about it in
LCDS 3.0 documentation.

-Mete