Take the following example. On the left you have a list that loads data from
another file. The data is a basically a set of typed objects that have a src
attribute that points to an image. Don't worry to much about that, just know
that we are getting a list of images. The list on the left shows an initial
list with some scrollbars and about 5 images. The list looks like it can
only scroll 1 or 2 more images but in fact there are about 20 images. As you
start scrolling the list figures out that there are more and adjusts the
scroll bars. It keeps doing this until we reach the last images and finally
the scroll bars work as expected.

What I don't understand is the data group next to it works exactly how I
expect the list to work. I thought the list was basically using the data
group in the end anyways? What am I missing / doing wrong? If you need the
full example I can email it to you, just ping me.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Application
xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009";
xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
initialize="GalleryService.loadData()" >
 <s:layout>
<s:HorizontalLayout paddingTop="20" paddingRight="20" paddingBottom="20"
paddingLeft="20"/>
</s:layout>
 <s:List
height="100%"
dataProvider="{GalleryService.results}"
itemRenderer="GalleryImageRenderer"
dragEnabled="true"

<s:layout>
<s:VerticalLayout horizontalAlign="justify"/>
</s:layout>
</s:List>
 <s:Scroller height="100%">
<s:DataGroup dataProvider="{GalleryService.results}"
itemRenderer="GalleryImageRenderer">
<s:layout>
<s:VerticalLayout horizontalAlign="justify"/>
</s:layout>
</s:DataGroup>
</s:Scroller>
-->