James

First off, I would not use AMFPHP as it is deprecated in favor of ZendAMF (Part
of Zend Framework). I found WebORB much easier to integrate than ZendAMF.

With WebORB you use Object Oriented PHP. You create data transfer classes in
both Flex and PHP and map them to each other. then you use class hinting in PHP
to receive data from Flex.

You can definitely send the arraycollection to PHP. It will arrive as an array
of objects.

One thing I think you should look into is SharedObjects in Flex. This allows
you to save data to the local machine (Kind of like cookies but you have 100K
of space you can use) and is very useful to hold these kinds of preferences.

Steve