I have never tried to do anything like this but just thinking off the top of my
head...

Try skinning components in Flex.
http://www.davidflatley.com/2007/12/17/programmatic-button-skins-in-flex-3/ may
be a good starting point.

Look at using DeGrafa (http://www.degrafa.org) and/or ScaleNine
(http://www.scalenine.com) to skin components.

Have multiple sizes of graphics available and check the width of the screen and
the number of icons and pick an appropriate size to show.