Thanks these are good idea, but actually I want something different.
I should have been more specific.

I want the child to be scrollable within vBxContent, without setting
vBXxContent.height to a fixed size as you can see in my following little
ASCII screenshot :)

--------------------
|  ______________   |
| |   _____    |^|  |
| |  |     |   | |  |
| |  |     |   | |  |
| |  |     |   | |  |
| |__|_____|___|v|  |
|                   |
--------------------

The problem is, that vBxContent does not implicitly goes to scrollmode.

I tried the following, what sets the size of vBxContent to the
Applications.height:
<mx:VBox
        id="vBxContent"
        width="100%"
        height="{this.height}"

That works, but only as long as there is no other component before or after
vBxContent (like canAnotherComponent in the example)...
Then I would  have to do something like
        height="{this.height- canAnotherComponent.height }"
That's not useful if I don't know how many components are following....

Is there no easy way not to allow a component not to grow bigger than its
parent??

Cheers,
Christoph

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM