Hi,

On 05/05/2010, Haykel BEN JEMIA <hayke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also thinking about the case when we use some flex framework like
> Parsley. For performance reasons it is generally advised to only manage
> lightweight classes by the framework and for views mediators are used. So
> any suggestion on how to create mediators that fit good in the new Flex 4
> component/skin architecture?

I'd say that first there's the Flex framework level---it's component and
application lifecycles---with which you should be very familiar with if you're
concerned about your application's performance.   If used properly it will
hide from you most of the problems associated with flash performance like
frame render cycles and the order in which things are measured and laid out.

And then the "micro-architecture" level, also called framework, but which is a
different level---the level at which Parsley would be described---which
guides you about how components and other classes are grouped into larger
applications.

It is at this level a one can appreciate a light weight, non intrusive
frameworks which reduce the need to write boiler plate code and will let you
aggregate features to your application in a way that you can always make sense
of what's going on... but performance at this level is perhaps more of a
"programmer's performance": how can these guidelines and helper classes keep
the accumulating code readable for programmer whose job, more than anything
else, is to read lots and lots of ageing code.

I've been using Swiz lately ---which is somewhat related to Parsley--- and the
guys that build it insist on not having to extend their classes but only mark
here and there with metadata to let the framework fill in the gaps for you.
This is not, I think, to make the app go faster but to keep you from becoming
confused with myriads of strange unfamiliar voodoo classes which multiply in
between the parts you do properly understand: your components and your data.
But this is not at the skin-host level but higher up.

So regarding your question, if in your host component you understand the lower
level interactions of your skin parts (clicked this, typed that) and can
translate them into higher level gestures (attempt a login, make a search)
which you can just dispatch in the simplest way possible and let your Swiz or
Parsley, etcetera, classes magically forward that gesture your controllers,
mediators, I guess you should be fine.

hth,
gabriel

--