Anyone who's interested, this is what I was missing from my ButtonBarButton skin

<fx:Script>
  <![CDATA[

   override protected function updateDisplayList(w:Number, h:Number) : void
   {
        super.updateDisplayList(w, h);

        // Remove the first separator
        if(hostComponent.itemIndex == 0)
        {
           separator.visible = false;
  ]]>
</fx:Script>

<s:Group>
  <s:Line id="separator" x="8" y="0" xFrom="0" xTo="0" yFrom="0" yTo="12">
     <s:stroke>
        <s:SolidColorStroke color="0x000000" weight="1" joints="miter"/>
     </s:stroke>
  </s:Line>
  <s:Label id="labelDisplay" x="20" y="0" ..other attributes />
</s:Group>