I got lost trying to follow this topic.  Whether it is browser or standalone
shouldn’t matter.  What matters is the url of the SWF (file:// or http://), the
trust file settings on the computer, the use-network flag, and how you access
the external resources.

If you build a SWF to run locally then it cannot access the network.
If you build a SWF to access the network, it cannot access the local files
unless trusted.
Even if trusted, you may run into issues using certain file paths.  Be sure to
use relative paths to subfolders of the trusted folder.