Hi Nick,

The best option is to create your composite components in Action Script.  This
gives you direct control over the scope of the children, and they can be
referenced within the component by the name of the var.  For MXML composite
components, if you don't give the children id's, they won't be public.  This
can be tricky if you're used to referencing the children inside the component
by their id's, but you can usually rework logic like that to rely on events,
like click and change, instead of references; since events have a reference to
the target or currentTarget.

-TH