Heya,

I thought i would reply in here vs to your private email about my "Preloader" on Mossyblog.com (hope you don't mind).

You can use your own home-grown preloader for the initial application "asset" loading via mx:Application (ie simply slot in your own preloader.swc into the 'preloader' slot. You'll have to make it act like mx.preloaders.DownloadProgressBar (see documentation).

That's ok, for asset loading. Yet, for application initialization you kind of need to grow your own custom routine.

In my example: http://www.spidaweb.com/mossyblogfiles/ITWDemo.htm i basically created a "Splash" screen approach. I needed to kind of fire off a bunch of server-side events (initGateway, initSecurity, Authenticate, Log Details, Get Data for the next screen etc) and these needed to be fired before i let the user interact with the form.

How I did that was simple. Using the ModelLocator within the Cairngorm framework, i had a static property which kept "wf_initState:Number" . Then inside my SplashHelper i essentially broadcasted various commands to be fired, and as one came back with a result, i updated the wf_initState, which essentially then triggered a method within the SplashHelper to then fire off a bunch of other commands etc until the life cycle died of natural causes. Then once the last command fired and I received a success result, I'd simply show the user the appropriate screen.

I did this for two reasons:

1) I wanted to show off, that and I wanted to prevent users from acting like crying children the moment their precious data isn't on screen (heh). As sometimes the Network can kind of "Stall", in that I've noticed that CFMX can sometimes just seem like it "gave up". It could be network related.

2) I need to know what didn't fail. Nothing worse then getting a call about a bug, you going around to the workstation and asking that person to replicate it again and without a screen like this its hard to isolate whats going on. An example for me was "initGateway". On my Coldfusion side of things i had a method which simply put, initializes the CFC with some defaults and return a boolean on success. If this method fails, then straight away i know its something on coldfusions end (server down, cfc has errors etc). Then if say initSecurity fails, then ok again coldfusion dropped the ball as its not highlighted as "tick, yes complete".

So yeah, that's how i did the "preloader". Its more of a "prelude-loader" heh.