Adobe, in their infinite wisdom, removed the "data" property from Spark
TextInput.

There is an example of assigning bindable data to a variable for use in
the text value with Flex 4 at  Binding to an MXML TextInput control
<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf6\
9084-7d85.html>   . I have tried to implement this technique but have
still been unable to get it to work.

When I specify the following:

             [Bindable]
             public var
collection:String="{myDataProvider.data.name.[0]}";

I simply receive the following in my textInput field:

             {myDataProvider.data.name.[0]}

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might specify a bindable variable
such that it will display as desired ?

(FWIW, this worked like a charm in Flex 3)

thanks!

MCE