It's in the manual....

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/15/flex_docs_en/00000715.htm

On 9/28/05, Aly Sidi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi All
I have a combobox that i wisth to apply a
    <mx:Validator field=" formObjects.CanPlay" required="true"  requiredFieldError="booboo"  validate="????"  />

   1. I do not know what the function signature is for validate
   2. How to get that nice red error tooltip to show up if its not valid
   3. Does fieldRequiredError do a popup or tooltip

all i want to do is check that the index of the combobox is not equal to -1 or that the string is not equal to XXX

this is my validation code
  temp= mx.validators.Validator.isStructureValid(this,'formObjects');