Fwiw...

As far as I know that is indeed still the case. The doc
(http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/mx/rpc/http/mxml/HTTPService.html)
 says

You use the <mx:HTTPService> tag to represent an HTTPService object in an MXML
file. When you call the HTTPService object's send() method, it makes an HTTP
request to the specified URL, and an HTTP response is returned. Optionally, you
can pass parameters to the specified URL. When you do not go through the
server-based proxy service, you can use only HTTP GET or POST methods. However,
when you set the useProxy property to true and you use the server-based proxy
service, you can also use the HTTP HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE, and DELETE methods.

In general, unless you can get somewhere some server/proxy control, I have
found Flex not very useful to talk to a REST like service. Some people have
reported success by using http://code.google.com/p/as3httpclientlib/ iso the
Flex provided stuff. Personally I have not tried that. As far as I remember it
gets tricky as you cannot typically reuse  browser managed http "resources"
(cookies, cache, ...).

As it might be of interest to you as well.....besides the limited HTTP verb
support I have lost numerous hours getting HTTP headers across. That is also a
non trivial endeavor.

What eventually worked out best in my case is to just bite the bullet , shove a
"proxy" in between, and use GET and POST to communicate tunneled "real" HTTP
requests, that are then transformed and forwarded. That is still not perfect if
you care about caching and have a need for custom headers, but at least most of
it is working.

I have always found it a bit ironic that a platform that started it's life as a
toolset to develop Rich Internet Applications has such limited support for
"the" internet standard as old as HTTP.

Anyway, hth,

Peter