Off the top of my head, you could do something by just animating the width of
the shaft and the x coordinate of the head in parallel, e.g.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009";
               xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" minWidth="955"
minHeight="600">

    <fx:Declarations>
        <!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects) here -->
        <s:Parallel id="bothEffects" duration="3000">
            <s:Animate id="widener" target="{redrect}">
                <s:SimpleMotionPath property="width"
                                    valueFrom="50"
                                    valueTo="200" />
            </s:Animate>
            <s:Animate id="mover" target="{bluerect}">
                <s:SimpleMotionPath property="x"
                                    valueFrom="150"
                                    valueTo="300" />
            </s:Animate>
        </s:Parallel>
    </fx:Declarations>

    <s:Rect x="100" y="100" height="50" width="50" id="redrect">
        <s:fill>
            <s:SolidColor color="red" />
        </s:fill>
    </s:Rect>
    <s:Rect x="150" y="100" height="50" width="20" id="bluerect">
        <s:fill>
            <s:SolidColor color="blue" />
        </s:fill>
    </s:Rect>
    <s:Button x="100" y="300" label="click to animate"
              click="bothEffects.play();" />
</s:Application>

(This assumes that the shaft will scale horizontally in a seamless manner.)

-- Tom