This thread is a little old, but yes, the font and source text are embedded in
those examples.

The FTE handles inline-progressions necessary for internationalization. It
performs ligature and sub-pixel rendering. It gives you control over kerning,
justification letter spacing, auto-hyphenation, and line spacing. It has an
incredible amount of typographical advantages over TextField. Hell, with the
right code, you can build documents from HTML and CSS.

That said, it's a pain in the ass to use from the standpoint of a component
developer.

If you just want lightweight text rendering, you can use the very few classes
in tinytlf that render and layout textblocks. If you want decorations,
selection, interaction, scrolling (yes, this is a feature), HTML support, CSS
support, etc. you will increase the size of your SWF proportionally.

I agree, it's unfortunate that the TLF isn't modular enough to be used outside
the framework, but that's their choice. At least you can look at the source of
the TLF and fork it/fix bugs/extend and enhance it if you need to.

Or you can take the approach I have, and write a different one.