I think the only thing you should draw from this announcement is that Adobe has
given up on trying to support  flash as a browser plugin on mobile devices. I
think they have seen that a) performance is an issue they may struggle to fix
while maintaining compatibility and b) there is market resistance to plugins on
mobile platforms (see the Windows 8 Metro "plugin-less" IE as the final domino
to fall there).

Flash is now in decline as a plugin technology. It will continue for a good few
years yet, but it is trending downwards. Because its life as a plugin is
drawing to an end, Adobe is seeking to reshape Flash as an app-building tool.
This makes perfect sense, and if they do it well, they could manage to make an
army of Flash/flex developers into app developers, which is not all bad.

Adobe has read the writing on the wall and is putting a lot of effort into
re-shaping themselves as the tool provider for HTML5. Certainly there is a need
for great tools in this area, so I hope they succeed in doing this.

Also, you might note with interest their purchase of nitobi, who make PhoneGap.

Guy