And in answering my own question, this appears to be a skin related issue on
the Playbook.  There is a known pre-2.0 OS issue with the TextInput where you
have to use a specific mobile skin class to prevent scrolling issues with the
text.  Without it you get a "setAreaOfInterest" error.  However, it seems that
if you put this skin in a CalloutButton, when the callout is closed, strange
things happen to all of the button skins in the app.