I'm committed to using a spark container because I need to use the spark states
model.

I would like to create my own component that would automatically scroll as
necessary and appropriately adjust the scrollbar on a browser window resize.
This generic scrolling container may be included in a tabnavigator or other
containers (that should not scroll) to get the desired layout.

It look like all I need to do is wrap the spark container in a Scroller or link
a Scroller to the container.

My problem is that AFAIK you cannot add elements to a custom mxml component if
you've already added a component (like a s:Group ) to the component defnition.
I.e. I cannot use mxml to define a custome component that is an s:Group inside
a Scroller.  So I guess the approch is to create a custom actionscript
component.

I'm hoping somebody has already solved this problem and can point me toward a
link or provide a snippet.

I plan to upgrade to Flex 4.5 in a few months if that's relevant.