It will be faster if you just hand-code the equivalent of:
    [Bindable] private var _y:int
as:
    private var __y;
    private function get _y():int
    {
        return __y;
    }
    private function set _y(value:int):void
    {
        if (value != __y)
        {
            __y = value;
            dispatchEvent(new Event(“_yChanged”));
        }
    }

Then whocares() can be coded like this:

          private function whocares():void
{
    var vtiA:MyTextInput = new MyTextInput;
   addEventListener(“_yChanged”, function(e:Event) {vtiA.x =
event.target[“_y”]);
    vtiA.x = _y
}

On 1/31/13 7:29 AM, "Paul A." <p...@ipauland.com> wrote:

On 31/01/2013 15:13, aceoohay wrote:
> Paul,
>
> BTW I did try BindingUtils.bindProperty(vtiA,"x",this,"_y"); and it did not
> seem to work for me. It recognized _y as it required that I change it to a
> public variable.

I was suprised that you were binding a private variable - that only
makes sense if your code is sitting inside that class.

I don't know the context of this, but if you had a setter, you might be
able to do the same as when binding.

I have to say that _y is a bit confusing since y is the natural public
accessor for a private variable _y and y is the actual position of an
element and _y seems to be something else!