Yes, it seems to fail.

RIAtest has a component 'inspector', which shows the component tree. If my
UI component is in a different (child) application domain, it never appears
in the inspector (and events from manipulating it never get received).

When I raised a ticket against it (and asked if there were some API that I
could use to perhaps inform it more directly to my new application
domains), they pointed me to the supposed flex automation restriction -
hence me starting to dig to see if I might be able to overcome the
restriction - perhaps by generating shim classes or delegates..