Ted,

If one were to standardize their efforts on Flash
Player 8.5 how would they implement this on the Web
Service side if they were using NetBeans, for example.

In-line with the ADMIN's recent guidelines, may I
suggestion one more? ... and that would be that when
someone goes into detail about something, that they,
if it's convenient, provide URLs to places where those
who are less experienced can begin to learn about the
technology mentioned; e.g. GZIP on both the FLEX and
Web Service side.  I intend to use Apache Tomcat and
I'm hoping that a JSP environment and using the
NetBeans IDE proves well for this.

-r

http://www.flashorb.com/articles/soap_vs_flash_remoting_benchmark.shtml
> > > This is slightly outdated since the release of
> Flash 8.  The memory
> > leaks
> > > the article mentions have been addressed in
> later versions of Flash 7.
> > >
> > > An important distinction between the FlashOrb
> benchmarks and the ones
> > > Anatole posted are that these are comparing SOAP
> and AMF from within the
> > > Flash Player.  I believe Anatole was comparing
> AMF in the Player to
> > SOAP in
> > > IE.
> > >
> > > Another part of the discussion was some excited
> comments about something
> > > called E4X or ECMAScript for XML.  This is
> really only a new syntax for
> > > traversing and writing xml.  Kind of a
> Actionscript meets XPath
> > thing.  I
> > > would also expect that the rewriting of the
> Flash XML parsers will bring
> > > some dramatic improvements to performance.  For
> details on E4X check
> > out the
> > > ECMAScript 4.0 specifications.
> > >
> > > Kevin