nice... thanks for the tidbits steven...

On 10/25/05, Steven Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ponnusamy,

> I just saw the possibility of flex 2 and I was wondering if
> it was possible to retrieve data from an SQl server, like
> (microsoft SQL or MySQL).
> I understood that we could do this using php or java.. but I
> didn't found anything usefull on google..
>
> Can't we connect directly to the SQL server??
>
> So if you have any link explaining how to do it, i would very
> much appreciate.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Ponnusamy V

Flex 2.0 is still an alpha technology, and so the featureset is still
very much being defined.  Furthermore, the enterprise data services have
not shipped with the current Alpha, and this is the piece of interest to
you.

In terms of retrieving data from a SQL Server installation; with Flex
2.0 data services, you can do this with a Service Oriented Architecture
(SOA) OR with a Data Oriented Architecture (DOA).

With an SOA, you'd do this exactly the same as you would for Flex 1.x;
have a middleware tier (most likely Java accessed by RemoteObject, but
could be any other technology exposed as a SOAP WebService) that
performs your CRUD operations (Create/Read/Update/Delete) between Flex
and your database.  In Flex 2.0, this will become known as "RPC
Services", as you will remotely invoke procedure calls on the server.

With a data oriented architecture, you will be able to use the new
open-adapter architecture for Flex 2.0, which provides seamless
integration with data services through a number of adapters.  At MAX in
Anaheim, a number of proposed adapters were presented (no decisions have
been made as to which adapters will ship) including an object adapter, a
Hibernate adapter, a JDBC adapter and a Coldfusion Adapter.  The
adapters abstract and remove the complexity of writing your own CRUD
code into configuration in a deployment descriptor (much like
flex-config.xml) in most instances.

The motivation for a DOA is that if your need for persistence is simply
to create, read, update and delete to a database, that you care about
synchronisation, offline operation, and have very little additional
business logic (services) between client and database, then you can
remove much of the drudge work of writing CRUD code, and gain a whole
load of enterprise-class services (such as sychronisation) in addition.
You can keep your serverless Flex compilation, this to me is the
step-change in Flex 2.0  :-)

Now it was presented (and reiterated by Stephen Elop in the quarterly
investors call last night) that this adapter architecture would be an
open-architecture; meaning that there will be a well defined API against
which people can write their own adapters.  There's nothing to say that
someone could not write an adapter that offered tighter integration with
SQL Server through the .NET APIs (ADO.NET) if you required.

So to summarise the answer to your question; if you have data in a SQL
server database, you can integrate that into your Flex apps today using
RemoteObject, WebService or HTTPService and a middle tier proxying
between Flex and your database.  There may even be other strategies;
some databases will now expose stored procedures as Java classes or SOAP
Web Services on your behalf, reducing the effort in coding your midtier.

"Tomorrow", with Flex 2.0, this option will continue to be available to
you, but the Flex Enteprise Data Services architecture will offer you
even more powerful mechanisms by which to integrate an RIA experience
with a database persistence tier.

William Wechtenhiser, the Director of Engineering for Flex Enterprise,
has written a tremendous article on Flex Data Services over on
Macromedia Labs, that you can find here:

http://labs.macromedia.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_Enterprise_Services:Data_
Services

That might give you some insight into what Flex 2.0 is going to offer
us.

Exciting times for Enterprise RIA !

Best wishes,

Steven