ugh, correct me if I'm way off here, I'm not, but isn't Tomcat a J2EE
container?  Where is Dave Wolf on this, eh?  :)  You can implement
JAAS stuffs on Tomcat and utilise this with Flex.  I think this
involves something called valves in Tomcat. There is an article by
Brian Diette on this that is helpful
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flex/articles/security_framework_print.html

DK

Douglas Knudsen