Ah onto the next little nuance.  IE loves to cache.  I mean it
*really* loves to cache.  Since the player is in effect delegating the
HTTP call to the browser, the browser can choose to cache quite often.
 So although you fire off the HttpService call, the browser decides
naaah, that call has already happend.  I'll just ignore it.

You have two options (sorted in order of Kludgedom)

1) Radmonly post-pend a url parameter to each call (like time millis)
so the url of the HttpService is different every time.  Very hoakey IMHO

2) Set some more cache-control headers.  We found this combination
worked in every browser (yes we struggled with IE's handling of
cache-control headers here too.  Don't get me started unless you have
a bar tab)

// This example was streaming XML out.
// You may not need all these headers.  The first one is the
// operative one.  Don't tinker it at all either.  Anything
// different and you're on your own!!!

response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "max-age=0, must-revalidate");
response.setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_OK);
response.setContentLength(bytes.length);
response.getOutputStream().write(bytes);

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: 866-CYNERGY

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "colinblackmore"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Indeed he is! :-)
>
> However... with regard to the fix, I seem to have spoken to quickly.
>
> Although adding the FormAuthenticator valve fixed the immediate
> problem I was experiencing, it seems to also cause other issues
> (again, this only appears on IE).
>
> My application has a polling thread that periodically calls a specific
> URL.  With the FormAuthenticator valve enabled, the behaviour
> 'appears' to be that the HTTPService is called, the response handler
> is fired, but *the server never receives a request*.
>
> What makes it even stranger is that the response handler has a valid
> response definition.
>
> My hunch is that setting the disableProxyCaching=false is working
> against me in this case and only the first call is ever making it to
> my servlet.
>
> Make sense?  Any thoughts?
>
> ...Col
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Rey Bango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Carson's the man. ;)
> >
> > Rey...
> >
> > Carson Hager wrote:
> > > My pleasure. I know that's a tricky one.  We confronted it about a
> year
> > > ago and most thought we had lost our minds. Turns out few people had
> > > used that combination at that point which seemed fairly odd to us.
> > > Anyway, I'm glad you found it useful.
> > >

> > > Carson
> > >
> > > ____________________________________________
> > >
> > > Carson Hager
> > > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> > >
> > > Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Office:  866-CYNERGY
> > > Mobile: 1.703.489.6466

HTTPService over
> > > https in *IE*.
> > >
> > > Fantastic!  That worked.  You saved me a 'lot' of time and effort!!
> > >
> > > Thank you for taking the time.  I really appreciate it.
> > >
> > > ...Col
> > >
> > > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Carson Hager"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>