Thanks for the link. Need to do some reading.
Is there an alternative to your suggestion regarding someFunction
and val1.

regards
bod

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Darin Kohles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I little bit more to clarify:
>
> You should have a variable defined and set in your application that
> stores the text you'd like to pass/use when the event is triggered:
>
> public var val1:String="Hello"; // defined and set for use
elsewhere

> To be complete you need to define the someFunction (this was just
an
> example) elsewhere in you application:
>
> public function someFunction():Void{ // do stuff pehaps with val1
etc.}

> As to the mouse event vs mouse event type, check here:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/labs/1/flex/langref/flash/events/Mouse
Event.html

> Hope this helps
>
> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "bhaq1972" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Darin for your input, i would like to ask some further
> > questions on your suggestions.(appreciate your help).
> >
> > > this.addEventListener(MouseEventType.CLICK, myClickFunction);
> >
> > you mean MouseEvent.CLICK?
> >
> > > this.parent.addEventListener("myEvent", someFunction);
> >
> > I'm sure thats a compile error (compiler will say "cant
> > find 'somefunction' etc").
> > 'someFunction' lives in this.parent (actually
this.parentDocument if
> > you take my original question)
> >
> > > dispatchEvent({type:"myEvent", val1:"hello"});
> > > dispatchEvent(new Event("myEvent));
> >
> > but what about my 'val1' value ("hello");
> >

> > The docs don't give enough info
> >
> > regards
> > bod
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Darin Kohles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > A couple fo issues here:
> > >
> > > function startUp():Void
> > > {
> > > /* event listener needs target (this) event to listen for
> > > (MouseTypeEvent.CLICK) and what to do about it
(myClickFunction -
> > stay
> > > away from using key words like 'click' for custom functions */
> > > this.addEventListener(MouseEventType.CLICK, myClickFunction);
> > >
> > > /* same goes here, notice change in syntax
target.|event|function

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM