I tried the following simple dataGrid that is not editable and the
cellPress event is triggered. Are you seeing something different? If so,
please send the code along.

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.macromedia.com/2005/mxml";
creationComplete="initDG()">

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
    function initDG()
    {
        myDataGrid1.dataProvider =
         [
           { Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Slanted and Enchanted' },
           { Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain'},
           { Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Wowee Zowee' },
           { Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Brighten the Corners' },
           { Artist:'Pavement', Album:'Terror Twilight'},
           { Artist:'Other', Album:'Other'}
         ];
         ti1.text = "";
    }

    private function doTest(event):void
    {
        ti1.text= event.type + " event Triggered";
    }

]]>
</mx:Script>

<mx:DataGrid id="myDataGrid1" cellPress="doTest(event)"/>
<mx:TextInput id="ti1" />
</mx:Application>