On 1/3/06, Franck de Bruijn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Douglas,

Exactly the same reason why I chose for web services. It's standards based, so you're free to go on the back end.

I don't know what you exactly meant with 'staying clear of frameworks', but I think using Hibernate is a safe bet or maybe later EJB3 (which should be an easy migration). I'm personally not a fan of Spring, but it's extremely hot in the Java community. I'm afraid that if you're not using Spring, you will not be taken seriously.

I meant that it would seem lighter as there would be only the requirement that a J2EE container be available, nothing else.  I'm not from the hardcore Java background wither, so I have not got Spring, Hibernate, etc under me firmly <emp>yet</emp> either.

This brings me to another point. I personally have a JAVA background and I follow the community sites www.javalobby.org and www.theserverside.com closely. What I notice is that Flex is not considered a serious alternative for building Rich Internet Applications. A search on 'flex' does not result in many hits. Worse, people who vouch for flex are often barked at shamelessly.

I don't know your intentions behind your idea of starting an open source flex project. Could you tell us more?

In my desire to increase my skills, I was thinking of writing a little issue tracking tool.  heck, maybe just hook up a cool Flex2 UI to a already existing opensourced issue traker, eh?  hmm....

To me it would be a great idea showing the JAVA community that there is a much cleaner and leaner alternative for web applications than this JSF/AJAX/_javascript_ stuff that is getting so much attention. One of the key success factors would be to have your back-end state-of-the-art, showing the JAVA people that you know your stuff. That means IMHO that you need to use popular frameworks like Hibernate and Spring.

So to 'know your stuff' you must use a framework?  I'm not a believer in this.  Perhaps knowing of and how to use frameworks displays the notion that you 'know your stuff', eh?

Does anyone have an explanation why Flex is not taken seriously in JAVA land? Is there something I should know J ?

Cheers,

Franck