The integration comes in the fact that the flash player inherits the
HTTP stack of the underlying browser.  What that means is that any
data service call, whether <mx:RemoteObject/>, <mx:HttpService/> or
<mx:WebService/> make calls on the same HTTP Session containing the
same j_sessionid cookie value.  That might seem quite simple on the
face of it, but it is not.  It has some incredibly powerful
ramifications.

For instance, there is not simple web services authentication
specification.  (yeah ok, WS-Security but I said simple).  What many
people (as we have seen in posts around this place) do is to pass the
current user credentials as a part of the web service call.
Effectively a parameters.  Why?  Since the HTTP transport inherited
the j_sessionid context, the container is very aware of who the
current user is.  Not only does it simplify your API but more
importantly it reduces a nefarious users ability to hijack sessions etc.

Now as for the setUsername() "custom" auth integration, remember that
is really only used for/needed for <mx:RemoteObject/> and for only one
simple reason.  See the AMF gateway uses only one URL for all remote
obect calls.  Since J2EE security requires implementation by
url-pattern, there is no way to lock down different services in
different ways.  Hence the security is handled by the AMF gateway
servlet and servlet filters.  If it werent for this limitation, you
wouldn't have any need for the custom auth.  Yes, there is some more
code-level integration in the proxy.  For instance the HttpService and
WebService proxy servlet propogates the j_sessionid to the back-end
service implementations.  (or it should, there are a few bugs in 1.5
we found which Adobe addressed for us in propogating that session).
Generally however we simply by-pass the proxy and make direct calls
where feasable.

Another huge advantage os this seamless inheritence of the j_sessionid
context is that i makes integrating the RIA with any third party j2EE
based applications a dream.  For instance, we've done a lot of work
integrating the RIA with third party products from folks like Jive
Software and Atlassian Software.  We can have the RIA participating is
broad (even distributed) Single Sign on implementations across
multiple applications.  We can take an existing HTML front-ended
"engine" and very simply plug in a RIA user experience instead.

Flex and the Flash Player could have very easily been implemented in
such a way that the movie does not open connections using the same
HTTP session as the main browser.  Luckily the Macromedia/Adobe folks
made the right choice, and the amount of power it unleashes is
limitless.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.